5 replies to this topic

#1 sheryltoo

sheryltoo

Distant Family

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I just bought Dreamweaver to design my website and I have to set up the server in order to upload it to my site but I have no idea what to put in each line.
It first asks for a server name and I don't know what that should be.
Then it says connect using ftp.
Next it asks for the ftp address and shows 21 for the port.
I know what to put for username and password.
Then it asks for a root directory and a web url. I figure my website is what I use for url but I don't know what I'm suppose to use for anything else. I hope someone here can help me. Oh and I bought dreamweaver cs6.

#2 TCH-Dick

TCH-Dick

General Manager

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hi sheryltoo,

Here is a picture of my setup, let me know if this helps.

Attached File  d_w.jpg   38.91KB   12 downloads

Dick DeVance
General Manager
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc
dick@totalchoicehosting.com

Posted Image

#3 TCH-Dick

TCH-Dick

General Manager

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I forgot to add, Server Name is just an identifier and can be whatever you prefer.

Dick DeVance
General Manager
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc
dick@totalchoicehosting.com

Posted Image

#4 sheryltoo

sheryltoo

Distant Family

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks so much. That did help me a lot. The server name kind of threw me. I thought I needed to know what server totalchoice was on and then I just wasn't sure what needed to go in each of the fields.

When I set this all up, my web url automatically showed up but with /public_html/ at the end. I assume that's because that's where all my files get stored.

I tested it out and it said I was successful. Now I just need to figure out how to actually use Dreamweaver and create my site with it.

I've been using Microsoft Expression Web 4 and actually like it but I saw an add that said Dreamweaver had the WYSIWYG editor and lets you create pages that can be used on various devices so I thought I'd buy it.

I think I'm going to head to a book store today and find a dummy book to help me figure out how to use the program. I am totally lost.

#5 jopaislies

jopaislies
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

So I have been trying to connect by FTP with Dreamweaver and I keep getting an error code. I know this is an old post on the forum but I was wondering what may have changed when setting up FTP in Dreamweaver. I have Dreamweaver CC. I tried setting everything up like the sample posted but it does not work. I am using my CPanel Username and Password for the FTP username and password.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

jo

#6 TCH-Bala

TCH-Bala

Technical Support Manager

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Please open a ticket to our help desk with the screen shot of your settings so that we can check this out.

Balakrishnan
Manager - Technical Support
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

TCH Help Desk .. || .. TCH Blog

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users