Google Video?

TCH-Rob

From Reuters;

Google said it will rent and sell television programs from CBS Corp. and the NBA. CBS plans to offer three current programs, including "Crime Scene Investigation," for rental a day after they originally air, priced at $1.99.

'STAR TREK' DOWNLOADS

Another 300 "classic" CBS shows such as "I Love Lucy," "The Brady Bunch" and "Star Trek" will be offered for download and outright ownership for the same $1.99 fee. Other partners include the historical video archive of Britain's ITN and selected Sony BMG videos. Time Warner is expected to eventually participate in the video store as part of a recently expanded search and advertising deal, Google CEO Eric Schmidt added.

And my favorite part of the article;

"This is a direct action to challenge Microsoft: Google is saying we can manage the browser and other elements of the computer desktop experience better than what you get now," Forrester media and Internet analyst Josh Bernoff said.

The reference to what you get now relates to MS.

Article is at http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....NICS-GOOGLE.xml

From Reuters;

And my favorite part of the article;

The reference to what you get now relates to MS.

Article is at http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....NICS-GOOGLE.xml

Hey,

Its funny you brought this up as I tried google video today and downloaded CSI, although its only a beta and there are only a few videos on their I was pretty impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. I found it.

I even checked out the source of the page because we were talking about getting up in the search engine on the other forum.

Notice: if you just type in VIDEO by itself in google search......

guess whose page comes right up at the top?

Yep. Google video.

hmmmmmm

Google said it will rent and sell television programs from CBS Corp. and the NBA. CBS plans to offer three current programs, including "Crime Scene Investigation," for rental a day after they originally air, priced at $1.99.
Rental, eh? So you only get 24 hours to watch the video after you download it... personally, if I'm going to pay $1.99 for a video I want to be able to watch (and rewatch) it whenever I want

A version of new Google video store for Apple Computer Inc.'s Mac line of computers is coming, Page said.

"We have a version of video for Mac that is not downloadable yet," Page said. "Hopefully that will come out soon."

Hm. I wonder how this will turn out in regards to competition with the iTunes Music Store -- which sells many videos, including television shows. I wonder if any of the shows will overlap between the two or if the networks only distribute their shows via one outlet.

Also, Google Video is also open to independant people/companies that want to distribute their work.