Google Offers Coupon Launch Confirmed

TCH-Mike

This is interesting. Groupon turned down $6 billion from Google who was looking to purchase Groupon a month or two ago. I read about this today. I wonder if the people at Groupon are kicking themselves?

Mashable on Thursday night reported Google will launch Google Offers, a new service that will take on group discount sites such as Groupon and LivingSocial.

Mashable was leaked the fact sheet on the new venture, which indicates that Google Offers subscribers will receive a daily e-mail offer for a buy-in discount. According to its sources, businesses will get 80 percent of revenue derived from the coupon three days after a deal runs. Google will send the rest in 60 days, after processing any returns.

The company's desire to get into the coupon business is well-known, especially since Groupon turned down a $6 billion buyout offer from Google.

Google has all but confirmed that the new feature is real, telling Mashable, "Google is communicating with small businesses to enlist their support and participation in a test of a pre-paid offers/vouchers program. This initiative is part of an ongoing effort at Google to make new products, such as the recent Offer Ads beta, that connect businesses with customers in new ways. We do not have more details to share at this time, but will keep you posted."

• 9 months later...
Guest JamesObZ

I think Groupon are mental to have turned down 6 BILLION dollers. With google as big as they are i'm sure they will be able to to compete in no time.