Installing A Phpbb Message Board

sheryltoo

I thought I asked about this once before but I can't seem to find any messages on this topic so I'll ask again.

And I hope I'm asking in the right place.

I want to try and install a phpBB message board on my site and I don't know what to do first.

I've looked at some instructions for installing message boards but most of the instructions are quite old and don't seem to apply to my current cpanel.

For instance, there's no add on script for Invision Board.

I was going to try installing that message board but don't see a way to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've added a SMF message board but I wanted to try something else and see if I like a different style.

I may find out that phpBB is way over my head but I thought I'd give it a try.

Sheryl

phpbb used to be installable via Fantastico in the CPanel, but is not available that way anymore. If you wanted to try it, installing it manually would be the way to go, and shouldn't be too complicated. You should be able to find step-by-step instructions on the phpbb site. Typically, those instructions would involve:

Creating a database and a user for that database (using CPanel).

Giving that user the necessary permissions for that database (again using CPanel).

Uploading and extracting the phpbb files.

Running any necessary setup scripts, and possibly making some small modifications to one of the phpbb files.

But really, don't do any of these steps without first going to the phpbb site and looking over their installation instructions. And if you get stuck, I'm sure some folks around here can get you over the bumps.

Not sure what you mean with "there's no add on script for Invision Board".

If I understand you correct, you have looked for Invision Board (IPB) in the Fantastico section of your cpanel? If so, no IPB is not available in Fantastico since IPB must be purchased/licensed and therefor downloaded from their site.

I want to try and install a phpBB message board on my site and I don't know what to do first.

Here are the instructions for the latest version of phpbb.

As for the thread you are looking for. Is this the one?

Thank you both for the help and thanks for the links.

Yes, that was the thread I was talking about.

It must be nice to know exactly where to look for everything, lol.

I did a ton of searches and was only getting more confused with what I was finding.

That install link never came up in my search although I was at that site and just didn't realize what I needed to click.

Sorry if I seem pretty dumb but I really appreciate your help.

Sheryl