Newsletter Mailing List

lisadavidson

Hi

I'm new to total choice and new to creating a webpage.

I'm trying to set one up -- haven't uploaded it yet.

I'm using Front Page 2000 and wanting to put in a simple form for people to sign up for a newsletter. I saw the post farther down but I'm still confused about how this will work.

I want the form to take email and add to a list so I can send out a newsletter.

Any easy suggestions for this newbie?

Thanks.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of ways that you could run Newsletters. One method that one of my clients use is a Perl script that sends an email to the site owner and an acknowledgment to the user. The email address is then added manually offline to the YAMS program which can bulk email the newsletter when required.

The other method would be to have a Perl Newsletter script that would handle the sign-ups and add the user to an online database.

Let me know what option is better for you and I'll sort something out.

Regards

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

Can you tell me which script can do this..

a Perl script that sends an email to the site owner and an acknowledgment to the user. The email address is then added manually offline to the YAMS program which can bulk email the newsletter when required.

I've always just had a mailto link on my site for people to join my mailing list, but I'd like to update it to a simple form now. I'd like the form to just collect the email address and have a button next to it for subscribing and unsubscribing to the list.

TIA!

PS. I use Thunderbird, but this should work as well as YAMS, right? I don't think YAMS is available for download anymore...

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for help with sending out a email newsletter to our members.

We have a database set up using MySQL and I would like the email tool we select to be able to get the email addresses from the database.

Please help.

Thanks!

Steve Jones

KRCRC

Welcome to the forums Steve :wallbash:

Your best bet would be to query the database and create a file (extract) to be used with what ever mailing list program you intend to use.

Thanks for your help.

Do I have to save the "file(extract)" to my local pc (client)?

Or is there a way I can save it on the server so that it would be accessible to the "mailing list program"?

What I'm thinking is that I could enable a functionality within MySql so that our membership person could update the members db and then run a make table query. Then the "mailing list program" could refresh it's list from this new table.

Which mailing list app do you recommend? I would like to avoid using MS Outlook in any capacity.

You should be able to save it to a file on the server so the other program can access it.

I would look at the PHPMailing list that Don refers to above or a search at hotscripts. Just remember that the shared servers have limits on the amount of email that can be sent. You can open a ticket with the help desk to find out what the limits are. We do not discuss them in the forums for obvious reasons.

Yes you will find PHP List in Fantastico although it's not the easiest of things to use and can be confusing as hell at times.

I personally use DADA Mail and have done for years. I probably should update it to the latest version.

Thanks for the tip, Carbonize. I was struggling to get a grip on PHP list, but after your post I tried DADA. It was very easy to set up and now I'm looking for a cool minimalist template. Can you recommend any sites to find decently looking newsletter templates?

Thanks in advance.