Openoffice.org 2.0

borfast

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone spent any time on the database utility? I was just curious to hear from a "regular folk" how it works and how much of a pain it is to learn after, say, Access.

I'm moving everything under my control (ie. non-work stuff) to OpenOffice because it works well, stores well and encourages the "MS isn't the only game in town" sentiment I so much enjoy. :D

I have downloaded Openoffice and played around with it a little. So far I think its a good program, but can any of the Openoffice parts/programs do what MS Publisher can?

The only parts of MS Office that I use regularly is word and publisher, so if there is an alternative to Publisher in Openoffice or similar I would switch pretty right away. :shutup:

Jim, OOo Base is not bad. It could be a lot better, but considering it's the first release of OOo to include this utility, it's not bad. Compared to Access it's very similar. Easy to get into with little effort if you know Access (or even if you don't). In my opinion, it's not an Access "killer", but I can't wait to see how it evolves.

Thomas, to answer your question, I don't know. Hopefully someone else will.

In Linux there is Scribus. They are working on a Windows version but I couldn't find that they have it ready yet. I don't know of anything else for Windows but surely there is something out there.

I have downloaded Openoffice and played around with it a little. So far I think its a good program, but can any of the Openoffice parts/programs do what MS Publisher can?

The only parts of MS Office that I use regularly is word and publisher, so if there is an alternative to Publisher in Openoffice or similar I would switch pretty right away. :shutup:

I would jump ship as well if they had something like publisher. It's a great program